Friday, August 27, 2010

One step at a time

I was thinking about the events that are going on in our lives right now. Things are exciting and at the same time, a bit overwhelming. But then I remember my trip to Cape Cod...

About 7 years ago, a friend and I were on a trip to visit a church up north. We decided to go to Cape Cod before heading back south. I enjoyed the specialty shops and the small town feel that Cape Cod has. But the most memorable part was visiting the lighthouse. It was rainy and cold. It was the kind of rain that just sort of sits in the air and makes you feel chilled to the bone. But we decided to climb down on the rocks that led out to the lighthouse. I took a few steps, trying to look ahead to the lighthouse, since that pretty scenery was our ultimate goal. But I realized, that with the rain and wind, it was wisest to just keep my eyes on my feet and make sure I stepped on flat, smoother rocks. I would enjoy the view when we got to our destination. It wasn't as exciting, keeping my eyes on each step, but it was necessary. I knew it would be worth it.

During that trek, I realized that was what God wanted me to do with my life. Keep the ultimate goal in mind, but take it one step at a time, making sure each step was correct.

Now, I want to look at everything going on around me and stress or wonder how it will turn out. But then I remember Cape Cod. One step at a time. Keep pressing forward and you will eventually enjoy the best of what God has for you.

"In all thy ways acknowlege Him, and he shall direct thy paths."

"The steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord: and he delighteth in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down: for the Lord upholdeth him with his hand."

No comments:

Post a Comment