Thursday, October 1, 2009

Recipes: Alfredo Sauce

On the mission field, we do not have access to many things we love. Or the item is very expensive since it is imported. So I am learning to make some things that we love on my own. Some of the ingredients may not seem right, but I am limited as to what is available / less expensive here (for example, I use margarine and milk instead of butter and cream). My husband loves Alfredo Sauce. I have come up with a recipe that we love.

Alfredo Sauce

Half a stick of margarine
minced onion (if you like your sauce smooth, omit the onion)
1 tbsp flour
2 c milk
1 tsp salt
3 oz Parmesan cheese
garlic powder

Melt margarine on low heat. Fry onion in margarine until translucent. Slowly add 1 tbsp of flour, while stirring. After you have a thick paste, slowly add two cups of milk, little by little, stirring continuously. Do not add the milk too quickly or you will have a chunky mess! Be patient, coninuously stirring the sauce. When sauce begins to thicken, add the salt, cheese and garlic powder. Continuously stir until the sauce is nice and thick.

No comments:

Post a Comment