Friday, October 23, 2009

Taco Stress

Our family loves tacos and burritoes. We eat them about once a week. I prepare Rosa's taco for her before I make my own. And every time, without fail, Rosa stresses out.

I start by spreading the beans on her tortilla. My hand is reaching for the spoon in the bowl of taco meat. And the panic begins.

"But Mommy, what about cheese? Don't forget the cheese. Oh, and the sour cream. Oh Mommy! I still need tomatoes!"

I can't believe we are going through this again. I begin giving her my normal little speech.

"Rosa, I always give you everything you need. Just be patient and you will have everything. Don't I always take care of you?"

She nods her little head. Then calms down and waits for me to finish preparing her dinner how she likes it. So the drama is over. For that day. But next week, when we eat tacos again, we will go through the same thing again. And I think, will she ever learn? Why does she doubt that I will take care of her?

And then it hits me. Don't I do the same thing with God, repeatedly? I worry and doubt Him, and He continuously meets my needs. And I breathe a sigh of relief. Then the next struggle comes, and I stress and panic all over again. He again takes care of me. This has been going on all throughout my life as a believer, which is over twenty years.

Can I be hard on my little four year old, since this is a lesson she still hasn't learned? Considering the fact that I STILL have not learned this lesson myself. This is an opportunity for me to continue teaching her. Just like God continues to teach me.

No comments:

Post a Comment